In the last week Obama has declared his support for Same Sex Marriage which has polarised opinion in the US and at the same time made it a key part of the Presidential campaigns and galvanised supporters on both sides with large amounts of money expected to be raised on both sides of the debate in support of respective candidates for the Presidency in November’s election.
This list has been floating around recently… If you weren’t convinced Same Sex marriage should be approved see the list below of reasons to ban Same Sex marriage and you should soon be convinced… (NB: Some of them have an American focus)
1) Being gay is not natural. We always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester and air conditioning.
2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of marriages like Britney Spears’ would be destroyed.
6) The only valid marriages are those which produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
9) Children can never succeed without both a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy or longer life spans.
Hopefully you can see how absurd it is to oppose Same Sex Marriage… Some links you may want to look at: